A new update to Starsector, from Fractal Softworks, has been pushed out to improve on the game’s already stellar mechanics, skills, and campaign narrative. Modern art and effects, co-mingle with old school aesthetics, to create a one-two punch of universal proportions!
What, do you ask, is Starsector? Take a slice of Star Control, mix it with a pinch of Master of Orion 2, add a dash of MechWarrior and stir it all up in Fractal Softworks’ special development pot, and you get a high-flying, laser-blasting, tactical-jaunt through the galaxy!
Starsector is a game of sci-fi warfare, management, and role-playing as you command a fleet of starships in tactical battle. Explore, trade, engage in epic space combat, and level up your ship in this open-ended sandbox game set in a lost sector of the galaxy. Find adventure, glory (or infamy), and profit (or ruin) among the far-flung frontier. While no date has been announced for launch, access to the game is available by pre-ordering Starsector, which will players access to all builds going forward to release.
Check out the full update log for Starsector on the development blog and pre-order Starsector on Windows, Mac and Linux for $15.00 USD for early access to all features before launch at the discounted price.
- Single player, gritty, dystopian sci-fi setting
- Classic top-down gameplay style enhanced by modern technology
- A procedurally generated sector of the galaxy, seeded with well-known core worlds and factions
- Develop your character into a hot-shot pilot, a smuggler, a stern admiral, an industrial magnate – or anything in between
- Outfit ships with your weapons of choice and add hull modifications to create devastating tactical combinations
- Explore hundreds of locations to find habitable worlds, rich resource deposits, and lost technology
- Assemble a large, powerful fleet or a finely-tuned task force with hand-picked officers and crew
- Cripple core world supply lines to create easy prey for piracy or bolster the rule of law and try to reverse the Sector’s descent into chaos
- Leave your mark upon the world and determine the fate of the Sector with your decisions
- More hand-crafted star systems to flesh out the core worlds area of the Sector
- Procedurally-generated areas to explore beyond the core worlds
- Run salvage operations and planetary surveys, with associated missions for further profit
- Ship recovery – repair derelict ships or ships disabled after battle and add them to your fleet
- Revamped carrier & fighter mechanics – command fighters launched from your carrier
- New campaign abilities – scavenging, distress calls, and more
- Skill overhaul – added Industry aptitude; every point matters
- Several new ships, including new carriers
- New terrain types – pulsar beams and black holes
- A new “reckless” officer personality
- + lots of fixes and improvements!
Starsector is a game of space fleet combat, management, trading, and role-playing. You pilot a ship and command a fleet in tactical combat while exploring, trading, battling and leveling up through an open-ended sandbox campaign world set in a lost sector of the galaxy. Find adventure, glory & infamy, profit & ruin among the far-flung frontier of the Perseus Arm.
Explore distant star systems. Run salvage operations on the dangerous fringe of the Sector, or become a bounty hunter and get involved in factional conflicts. Beware of ruthless pirates while evading patrols and tariffs. Assemble your fleet, upgrade and modify your ships, and fight your enemies!